Cigarette tax  

Posted by Linda Keilbart Scanlan in , ,

Cigarette tax signs are up in the local gas station. Congress wants to increase the tax over 150%. That's an additional six plus dollars per carton. I am not a cigarette smoker in any way shape or form, but I am concerned about this tax increase. The purpose for this increase is to have smokers pay more into the medicare system for the medical problems they create by smoking.

I am struggling with this, because where will the line be drawn? Are taxes on candies going to increase dramatically because people will bring on diabetes or obesity? I don't necessarily mind the tax increase being paid by those who smoke, but I do mind the amount that is being charged.

Okay realistically it is only about fifty cents a pack increase which doesn't sound as bad as six plus dollars a carton. Again my concern is, if congress gets away with this what will be taxed next? Should we all be concerned and should even the non-smokers be concerned?

Feed back would be greatly appreciated on what the average person is feeling about this.

This entry was posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 at Friday, August 24, 2007 and is filed under , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

1 comments

Cigarettes cost a fortune, I don't know how anyone, let alone poor people, indulge the habit.

I don't really care about them adding the taxes to the cigarettes because they are contributing, in huge numbers to, the medical problems in this country. Not only for themselves, but everyone they smoke around. So, I don't have a problem with them charging them more.

As to candy -- at least when you eat it, you're not infecting someone else.

August 28, 2007 at 12:27 PM

Post a Comment