Music 101 - Reba MacIntyre  

Posted by Linda Keilbart Scanlan in ,

Okay so her CD came out two months ago, but I was busy with the move to Idaho.

My brother-in-law recently made the comment that Reba has had her day in the sun and needs to retire and leave the music to the newer generation. I do not in any way shape or form agree with him.

This new CD entitled "Reba Duets" has Reba singing with such artists as Rascal Flatts, Kenny Chesney, and Kelley Clarkston . Reba has proven once again why she is still around.

Because of You has struck a chord of familiarity with me, because I am afflicted with PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder). After surviving two divorces and a threatening work environment in the military, I can truly say "Amen" to "Because of you I never stray too far from the side walk. Because of you I learned to play on the safe side so I don't get hurt. Because of you I find it hard to trust, not only me, but everyone around me. Because of you I am afraid". The harmony and the depth of emotion in the whispering of her voice is proof that Reba does not need to retire any time soon.

Faith Hill joins Reba in "Sleeping With The Telephone". I will be adding this one to my collection of military personnel songs. As a Navy wife I spent several months alone raising children. E-mail and cell phones were not common and so the ringing of the telephone was a life line for our relationship. Budgets were framed around the phone bill during those times. Social activities were nil as the wait by the phone continued. Five minutes was a life time to talk. Kudos to Reba and Faith on this one.

"Everyday People" is not the description I would give Carole King and Reba. This song, however, reminds us that we are truly our brother's keeper, that no man is an island, and that it takes a village to raise a child. "Everyday people are the ones who are making miracles". I don't believe that God works in mysterious ways. I believe He works in the quiet, loving actions of others. I believe that these miracles happen everyday by everyday people.

The only disappointment I found in this CD was "The Only Promise That Remains". Perhaps it's just not my style or I don't fully understand the reason behind the presentation of this song, but I really am not fond of it. This is not to say that others could find it their inspiration in life, but for me it could have been left for another person to record.

Over all this is another great CD. "Every Other Weekend" with Kenny Chesney will attest to that.

This entry was posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 at Wednesday, November 14, 2007 and is filed under , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

6 comments

Hi Linda - I'm not fond of Reba's voice, but I recognize the brilliance that is hers. I'm glad you enjoy her latest effort. See you Friday! Our tickets to Merrill's show are at will call and we're good to go. Can't wait!

November 24, 2007 at 7:49 AM

I'm a Reba fan, most of the time. Interesting post. Thanks for sharing.

December 3, 2007 at 12:15 PM

Completely not related at all ... Woman, Join us!

Please R.S.V.P. about our Beautiful Bodacious Babbling Blogger Babe luncheon on the tenth of January. Details on my blog, right-hand column! We really want to see you there. Hope you can make it.

Come down, spend the night. It'll be a blast!

December 15, 2007 at 7:56 AM

Time to update my friend!

Merry Christmas from Alvin and Me to you and yours! Love ya lots!

December 24, 2007 at 8:27 AM

Sounds delightful. Merry Christmas!

December 24, 2007 at 12:59 PM

By the way, I tagged you on my blog yesterday. Sorry I forgot to tell you. Hope you had a wonderful Christmas!

December 26, 2007 at 5:41 AM

Post a Comment