Taking away my rights in order to protect the rights of others?  

Posted by Linda Keilbart Scanlan in , , , , ,

In the latest attack on Christianity, the U.S. government has banned the flag-folding recitations at all 125 national cemeteries. The banning came as the result of one complaint! The situation is similar to that in which one person removed prayer from schools.

This article from The Associated Press explains the situation:
Complaints about religious content have led to a ban on flag-folding recitations by Veterans Administration employees and volunteers at all national cemeteries.
At thousands of military burials, VA volunteers have folded the American flag 13 times and recited the significance of each fold to survivors. The 11th fold glorifies "the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.” The 12th glorifies "God the Father, the Son and Holy Ghost."
Citing a need for uniformity, the National Cemetery Administration has prohibited unpaid VA volunteers as well as employees from conducting the recital at all 125 national cemeteries.
American Legion attorney Rees Lloyd calls it "another attempt by secularist fanatics to cleanse any reference to God."

I am a Christian and a veteran. This situation can become a major situation. I'm thinking we need to have a religious and a secular ceremony of choice. Don't take away my right to have the entire flag-folding ceremony recited as written read at my funeral and I won't force you to take upon you a recitation that would be offensive at your funeral.

I am currently working on my will, estate and funeral with my family. I will request that a flag be draped over my casket, and that said flag will be folded with the full recitation and given to my son. I will further request that I receive the military honors of a 21 gun salute. If someone is offended by my patriotic rights, then you will be cordially uninvited to my funeral as the name of the Father and the Son will be used several times and will be testified to by the Holy Spirit. I would not want to force my love of God and country on you even in death.

I figure whoever it was that complained didn't have room to complain. After all it wasn't read at their funeral
.

This entry was posted on Thursday, November 8, 2007 at Thursday, November 08, 2007 and is filed under , , , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

2 comments

I am behind you 100% on this. I think the people who drove this, and then people who passed it into law need to get out of this country and stay out. If they don't like living in God-loving, patriotic, freedom-loving country then I invite them to move to Russia or Afghanistan where things are so much better for their ilk.

November 12, 2007 at 10:26 AM

This is so true!! They are working to take away the rights of the many in order to appease the few! It's so unfair. I just don't know what we can do about it. The press is all for them.

November 13, 2007 at 2:04 PM

Post a Comment