Magical Movie Moments - DVR/TIVO  

Posted by Linda Keilbart Scanlan in , ,

(DVR) or personal video recorder (PVR) is a device that records video in a digital format to a disk drive or other memory medium within a device. The term includes stand-alone set-top boxes, portable media players (PMP) and software for personal computers which enables video capture and playback to and from disk. Some consumer electronic manufacturers have started to offer televisions with DVR hardware and software built in to the television itself; LG was first to launch one in 2007.[1] It has also become the main way for CCTV companies to record their surveillance, as it provides far longer recording times than the previously used VCRs.[citation needed]
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_video_recorder)

Here we are without children at home during the day. We've finished our chores and shopping. We actually have a moment to sit down and watch a show. The television is now on. Ahhhh...the moment we've waited for. What is this? Channel surfing?!? Not exactly the way we want to spend our hour or two.

This is why I finally broke down under the pressure of my son and got DVR. If I had truly realized the simplicity and joy of it earlier I might have less gray hair. I love crime mysteries like CSI (all of them), Flashpoint (new this season), Bones, Medium, etc.. I however am usually busy during the hours these shows air. Or worse, I forget what day their on.

By marking my shows and prioritizing them, I am guaranteed to be able to watch something I enjoy when I have the time to sit down. Midnight is not an unusual time to watch a show at our house.

For parents it is an excellent way to record shows or movies you approve of. Later the kids can watch it after their home work is done. No more TV excuses that their favorite show is on right after school.

Another excellent idea is to film a movie or show for a specific event. It could be the political conventions, the Olympics that just past, Conference sessions of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, or the local news. Work interferes with a lot of these important events we should be aware of. DVR or TIVO (depending on the company you're with) will make staying informed a lot easier.

This wonderful feature also includes a fast forward feature so that commercials are cut out. That means you watch the show in less time. Missed a part because of a phone call or a crying baby? No problem pause the show. When you return you can rewind it to the point you lost your concentration. "What did they say?" can now be verified with the rewind option also.

Catching more goofs and bloopers is easier too when you can use the above options. Pausing a show has helped me isolate clues in mystery movies. It has also verified what was or wasn't done in a scene or who was or wasn't present.

Believe me I am not really a TV fanatic, but I sure like these options now. I can pause a live show and not worry about missing any of it because I'm talking to my husband on the phone for ten or fifteen minutes. He gets my full attention and I don't miss the show.

Return to the Neighborhood

This entry was posted on Friday, September 5, 2008 at Friday, September 05, 2008 and is filed under , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment