Magical Movie Moments - Leatherheads  

Posted by Linda Keilbart Scanlan in , , , , ,

"A romantic comedy set against the backdrop of America's nascent pro-football league in 1925. Dodge Connolly, a charming, brash football hero, is determined to guide his team from bar brawls to packed stadiums. But after the players lose their sponsor and the entire league faces certain collapse, Dodge convinces a college football star to join his ragtag ranks. The captain hopes his latest move will help the struggling sport finally capture the country's attention. Welcome to the team Carter Rutherford, America's favorite son. A golden-boy war hero who single-handedly forced multiple German soldiers to surrender in WWI, Carter has dashing good looks and unparalleled speed on the field. This new champ is almost too good to be true, and Lexie Littleton aims to prove that's the case. A cub journalist playing in the big leagues, Lexie is a spitfire newswoman who suspects there are holes in Carter's war story. But while she digs, the two teammates start to become serious off-field rivals for her fickle affections. As the new game of pro-football becomes less like the freewheeling sport he knew and loved, Dodge must both fight to keep his guys together and to get the girl of his dreams. Finding that love and football have a surprisingly similar playbook, however, he has one maneuver he will save just for the fourth quarter... Written by Orange" (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0379865/plotsummary)

This summary is really accurate and I could leave it at that and say "Amen". My job however is more involved than copying other people's work.

"Leatherheads" was my husbands choice of movies last week on Pay-Per-View. while we were in a motel in Salt Lake City. I am not a sports fanatic in any way shape or form. I do enjoy the occasional live baseball game, but anything else....Yes, I did not watch much of the Olympics either.

Now that it is fully understood where I stand with sports, let me say that sports movies get me even less motivated. When I understood that George Clooney was going to be starringin this feature film, I was filled to over-flowing with doubt. "Georgie boy, you're too old for this role," I thought.

I found myself getting involved in the plot and asking if this was based on actual events. (I haven't found anything to confirm that, by the way.) I'll watch sports movies if they are based on true stories. That quality gives them redeeming value!

Just as I was interested in the lives of the characters, we got a call from three daughters (ages 27, 21 and 14) who were stranded in Brigham City. It was getting dark, I couldn't leave them there! So here I was, the anti-sports movie watcher, complaining that I had to miss the end of the movie to go pick up the girls.



With George Clooney, Renee Zellwegar and John Krasinski as stars, this film made a touchdown. It was released in theaters in April and is now available on DVD. Rated PG-13 for "brief strong language", this film will score in your home.

Return to the Neighborhood

This entry was posted on Saturday, September 20, 2008 at Saturday, September 20, 2008 and is filed under , , , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment